Monday, November 03, 2008

An Apology

I just loaded up the front page of the blog and noticed that the ad at the top was for voting Yes on California's Proposition 8. I am actually strongly opposed to Prop 8, which would eliminate the right of same sex couples to marry in California and was dismayed to see the ad there at the top of the page. It points out one of the risks of using Google's Adsense ads: they are based on "keywords" in the content of the text on the page. Usually that works pretty well, but there is no guarantee that the advertisers who have bid on a particular keyword or keywords are advertising something you'd actually want associated with your site.

I've removed the ads, at least until I've figured out if this is fixable.

ETA: Now I'm seeing those ads on almost every web site using Adsense. I wonder if that's because I'm surfing from a California IP address.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy,

Just wanted to say that I've started reading your blog. I'm wondering if you have heard about the book, "What Men Don't Tell Women About Business". I heard the guy (Chris Flett) on the Today Show and thought you probably have already heard of him. I'm wondering what your thoughts were. He seems to be really taking on the 'Old Boys Club". I just emailed him, but haven't heard back.

Anyway, keep up the great writing.

Best,

Bihter.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I removed Adsense for the same reason - I could cope with the creationist drivel but not with adverts for pet monkeys.

I didn't get one single cent in the few months I had ads anyway so it was no great loss for me!

Peggy K said...

Bihter: thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Cath: I've never seen adverts for pet monkeys. That's a new one. I figured out how to block that ad, so I put the ads back, and I'm monitoring it.

I do make enough for coffee money, so it's nice to have. Not nice enough to run political ads that I vehemently disagree with, though.

I also don't know if anyone outside of California is seeing them. I may sound like a madwoman.

Ψ*Ψ said...

My coblogger and I are also vehemently opposed to 8. Here's hoping it's defeated tomorrow...

Marimoy said...

I had to remove them as well. Sad, but I couldn't take the constant tweaking of keywords.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy,

I've been doing some additional research on the author, Chris Flett, that I talked about on my last comment. His company is "GhostCEO" (www.GhostCEO.com) and his book is a bestseller. I found it on Amazon here. Anyway, he was in the NY Times last Sunday under the "Career Couch" and he makes reference to women's blogs like yours so I thought you might like to connect. I'd like to see you interview him and see what he's all about. I saw on another blog he was a guest blogger. His email is: chris@ghostceo.com

Best wishes,

Bihter.